$127.5 million settlement over FBI “errors” in Parkland shooting
Excerpt: By DAVID FLESHLER, SOUTH FLORIDA SUN SENTINEL
Kristina Infante, with the Miami law firm Podhurst Orseck, who is lead attorney for the families, said she thinks the federal government settled the case for three reasons: A trial date had been set, the judge had rejected the government’s arguments that it could not be held liable, and facts had come out that strengthened the families’ case.
“The FBI had specific information that the shooter had threatened to carry out a school shooting and had threatened to kill other people,” she said. “Those are particular to the FBI’s knowledge before the shooting. The FBI, as far as I know, was the only entity that was told this is someone making these kinds of specific threats of harm to others.”
February 16, 2018
FBI Statement on the Shooting in Parkland, Florida
On January 5, 2018, a person close to Nikolas Cruz contacted the FBI’s Public Access Line (PAL) tipline to report concerns about him. The caller provided information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting.
Under established protocols, the information provided by the caller should have been assessed as a potential threat to life. The information then should have been forwarded to the FBI Miami Field Office, where appropriate investigative steps would have been taken.
We have determined that these protocols were not followed for the information received by the PAL on January 5. The information was not provided to the Miami Field Office, and no further investigation was conducted at that time.
FBI Director Christopher Wray said:
“We are still investigating the facts. I am committed to getting to the bottom of what happened in this particular matter, as well as reviewing our processes for responding to information that we receive from the public. It’s up to all Americans to be vigilant, and when members of the public contact us with concerns, we must act properly and quickly.
“We have spoken with victims and families, and deeply regret the additional pain this causes all those affected by this horrific tragedy. All of the men and women of the FBI are dedicated to keeping the American people safe, and are relentlessly committed to improving all that we do and how we do it.”
Acting Deputy Director
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Statement Before the House Judiciary Committee
March 20, 2018
Summary and Timeline Related to Parkland Shooting Investigation
Statement for the Record
Chairman Sensenbrenner, Ranking Member Jackson Lee, members of the committee, it is my privilege to appear before you today as the Deputy Director of the FBI.
On February 14, 2018, at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, a former student allegedly shot 17 innocent people and caused significant physical and emotional harm to countless others. This tragedy abruptly ended the lives of kids who had their lives and dreams ahead of them, and stole from their families the right to watch their children grow into adulthood. As you know, the alleged perpetrator of this unspeakable violence is in custody and has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated first-degree murder and 17 counts of attempted first-degree murder by the state of Florida.
To the victims, families, and friends of those who were killed or injured on that day: Director Wray and I and the rest of the FBI extend our deepest sympathies to you. Though nothing can be said to undo the hurt and loss you all feel, please know the FBI continues to work closely with our state and local law partners in Florida to ensure that justice is served.
Unfortunately, as was disclosed by the FBI shortly after this terrible incident, the FBI did receive two separate tips that we now know were related to the alleged shooter, Nikolas Cruz. As the FBI Director has made clear, the FBI could have and should have done more to investigate the information it was provided prior to the shooting. While we will never know if any such investigative activity would have prevented this tragedy, we clearly should have done more.
Our investigation continues into exactly what the FBI learned prior to February 14, 2018, and what we did and did not do in response.
To summarize the results of our investigation to date, let me walk the Committee through the relevant timeline as we understand it.
It is important to know the FBI receives tips from the public through our Public Access Line, or PAL. The PAL is the FBI’s central contact center for all calls, electronic tips, and public leads made to the FBI’s 56 field offices. The access line is responsible for receiving and vetting information from the public, then disseminating it to the field as actionable tips and leads for special agents and intelligence analysts. To understand the volume of leads we receive, during 2017, the PAL handled approximately 765,000 calls and 735,000 e-mail tips.
On September 25, 2017, the FBI received an e-mail tip from a person in Mississippi who indicated that a person, unknown to him, posted on his YouTube page the following text: “Im going to be a professional school shooter.” The posting was from the username “Nikolas Cruz.”
In response to this tip, the PAL opened what the FBI calls a “Guardian” lead and assigned it to the FBI’s Jackson Field Office in Mississippi. Upon receipt of the Guardian lead, an FBI special agent, along with a local task force officer, visited the tipster and interviewed him on October 2, 2017. At the time of this interview, the agent was provided a copy of a “screen shot” of the subject post.
The agent conducted searches of both FBI databases and open sources. Believing the true identity of the poster could not be determined, the Guardian lead was closed on October 11, 2017, with no other investigative activity.
A few months later, on January 5, 2018, at 2:32 p.m., the FBI received another tip by way of a call to the PAL. The caller identified herself as a close friend of the Cruz family.
The caller provided the following information about Cruz:
§ Statements about Cruz harming himself and others;
§ References to ISIS;
§ That he had threatened his mother with a rifle;
§ That he had purchased several weapons;
§ That he wanted to kill people and was going to explode;
§ That he was mutilating small animals; and
§ That the caller was concerned that Cruz might shoot up a school.
The caller also noted that Cruz was 18 years old but had the mental capacity of a 12- to 14-year-old. She indicated that she was very concerned and had contacted the Parkland Police Department, and wanted someone to look into this matter.
Upon finishing the call, the FBI operator conducted a search of FBI databases and found the closed Guardian lead out of Mississippi. The operator then consulted with her supervisor and the matter was closed. The information received was never forwarded to a field office or to any of our State or local partners for further review or action.
As FBI officials learned of the Parkland shooting incident, FBI personnel conducted a search of its holdings and discovered the two tips.
Please know the FBI is committed to maximum transparency in all that we do on behalf of the American people. While I cannot fathom the agony, horror, and anger of the parents of these young people who were robbed of their futures, I do again want to express our sorrow and remorse to the family members.
When we make mistakes, we will not hide them, and we are committed, with your help, to doing whatever is necessary to correct our mistakes and prevent tragedies like this one from being repeated.
Thank you. I look forward to your questions.